Zucchini noodles (or zoodles, or corgette noodles, or corgetti) are a healthy alternative to wheat based noodles and a fantastic gluten free option. There is great versatility with zucchini noodles as they absorb any flavour you pair with it. The recipe below is quite simple, however you can also look at pairing it with basil pesto, sun dried tomato and olives, or even a rich tomato sauce.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 4 minutes / Serves: 2-4
- 2 zucchinis
- 15ml extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil to finish
- Peel the skin off the zucchinis and then slice them lengthways using a julienne peeler until it’s not possible to slice any more.
- Heat a frying pan with a the 15ml of olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the noodles and stir for about 4 minutes until the noodles have softened and have the texture of cooked spaghetti.
- Remove from the heat, add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir.
- Put the zucchini noddles onto a plate and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.
A lot of people use a spiralizer when making zucchini noodles but unless you already own one it’s not really necessary. A julienne peeler is cheaper, takes up less storage space and gets you the same result. If you don’t have either, you can use a knife to cut the zucchini into thin strips but this will be more time consuming and they won’t necessarily be even.