LIMA | Plaza de Armas (Plaza Major) is the oldest public space in Lima, and is where the city was founded, by Francisco Pizarro, on 18 January 1535. The plaza has been the site of many important events in Peru’s history. During the colonial era, the plaza served as a market, bull fighting ring, and the city gallows, and in 1821 General Jose de San Martin declared independence of Peru here. Plaza de Aramas is also where the Peruvian Inquisition occurred, between 1570 and 1820.
The plaza is surrounded by the Cathedral of Lima (1622), Archbishop’s Palace of Lima (1922), Government Palace (1938), the Municipal Palace (1944), and the Palace of the Union (1942). The colonial era fountain at the centre of the plaza was inaugurated in 1651.
The Plaza de Armas was awarded UNESCO World Heritage status in 1988 and to this day remains an important part of Lima, both for official purposes, and simply as a place for members of the public and visitors to relax.
Plaza de Armas (Plaza Major)
Plaza de Armas
Cercado de Lima
Mon – Sun: All day