BOGOTA | Plaza de Bolívar is located at the heart of Bogota’s historic centre, and is the city’s main public square. It’s a grand square that’s surrounded by important civic buildings on all sides. East of the plaza is the Primary Cathedral of Bogotá (1823), on the South is the National Capitol (1846–1926), West is Liévano Palace (1902–1905), and on the North is the Palace of Justice (1998).
The plaza dates back to pre-colonial times, and was an important site for the indigenous Muisca people, who lived here before the Spanish conquest. When the Spanish invaded, they named the site Plaza Major, and built Bogota’s first cathedral here. Over the years it was used as a market square, and hosted where circus acts, civil, religious and cultural events, and bullfights.
The statue of national icon and liberator Simón Bolívar, in the center of Plaza de Bolívar was erected in 1846 and was the first public monument in Bogota. It was at this time that the plaza was renamed in Bolívar’s honour.
Today the plaza is used for a variety of purposes. Vendors selling all kinds of things like snacks and trinkets can be found most days, along with concerts, markets, and political demonstrations. As with much of La Candelaria, it’s best to avoid walking through the area at night, especially if alone.
Plaza de Bolívar
Carrera 7 #11-10
Telephone: +57 1 4629226
24 hours a day