This charred grapefruit with mint & basil sugar recipe is an easy brunch or breakfast idea when you feel like something slightly sweet and light. It activates a range of senses on your tongue and tastes great. It’s also a unique way to get in one of your daily pieces of fruit.
Preparation Time: 2-3 minutes / Cooking Time: 3 minutes / Serves 1-2
- 1 large grapefruit
- 4 mint leaves
- 4 basil leaves
- 30g caster sugar
- Heat a griddle pan or grill.
- One the grill or griddle is hot, place the grapefruit on high heat for 3 minutes. Rotate half way through the cooking process.
- Remove the grapefruit from the heat and cut in half.
- In a pestle and mortar, add the mint, basil and sugar.
- Grind into a paste.
- Sprinkle the mint/basil sugar onto the grapefruit and serve immediately.
Charring the grapefruit is important for this dish, as it softens the grapefruit making it easier to scoop out with a spoon.