This wonderfully simple smashed avocado and panko scallops recipe is a quick starter or a great snack with a lovely glass of chardonnay. It is a dish designed to highlight the delicate flavour of the scallop and provide some textural contrast.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 6 minutes / Serves 12
- 12 scallops, cleaned
- 1 avocado
- 20g panko
- 10ml olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a non stick frying pan with a dash of oil.
- While the frying pan is heating, mix together the olive oil and panko.
- Place the scallops on the hot frying pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip the scallops over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the scallops.
- Remove the scallops from the frying pan and set aside.
- Add the panko to the pan and toast lightly for one minute.
- While the panko is toasting, crush the avocado flesh with a fork to provide a slightly lumpy paste.
- Add salt and pepper to the avocado.
- When you are ready to serve, place a teaspoon of avocado on the serving utensil, top with the scallop and then sprinkle with the panko.
- Serve immediately.
This dish needs to be enjoyed hot otherwise the panko can become soggy which removes the textural contrast it is there to provide.