RECIPES | Our Smoked Camembert with fig chutney recipe is a very easy and tasty dish that will impress your friends every time. We have made this several times, and this delicious, smokey, slightly sweet wheel of gooey cheese is demolished almost before it’s hit the table. It is great as a starter or a dish to graze on over drinks.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes (including heating the charcoal) / Cooking Time: 30 minutes / Serves 8 as a starter
- 30g dried fig chutney
- 1kg wheel of Camembert
- A handful of hickory wood chips
- 30cm piece of aluminium foil
- 14 charcoal briquettes
- Heat the briquettes, using your preferred method.
- While the briquettes are heating, cut the rind off one side of the Camembert.
- Fold the piece of aluminium foil in half and place the Camembert in the middle of the foil with the rindless side up.
- Wrap the foil around the sides of the cheese, making sure there are no gaps in the foil. This will stop the cheese leaking as it melts.
- Spread the fig chutney evenly on top of the cheese.
- Transfer the briquettes to your BBQ/smoker and place the wood chips on top.
- Place the cheese in the smoker/BBQ and smoke for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the BBQ/smoker and serve immediately with a crusty loaf of bread.
I would recommend matching this dish with Momento Mori’s (Heathcote) “Staring at the Sun” orange wine or similar.
If you don’t have any fig chutney, an orange marmalade or quince paste also works quite well.