This baked eggplant, pomegranate and yoghurt recipe is so simple to make. 10 minutes of preparation, 40 minutes in the oven and boom – you have a tasty, Mediterranean inspired dish that’s healthy and satisfying and bursting full of flavour. A great recipe for those who are vegetarian and gluten intolerant too.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 40 minutes / Serves 4 as a starter
- 1 large eggplant
- 100g goats milk yoghurt
- seeds of half a pomegranate
- rind of 1 small lemon, finely grated
- 10 fresh thyme stalks
- 1 small garlic clove, diced
- 3g sumac
- 10g flat leaf parsley, chopped finely
- olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200°C fan forced.
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise into 5 slices of even thickness, about 1 centimeter
- Place the slices evenly onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Drizzle the olive oil across the eggplant slices.
- Remove the thyme leaves from the stalk and sprinkle on top of the eggplant.
- Sprinkle the lemon rind on top of the eggplant.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the garlic, yoghurt, salt and pepper.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and dollop the yoghurt mixture evenly on the eggplant.
- Sprinkle with sumac, flat leaf parsley, the pomegranate seeds and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve.
You don’t necessarily have to use goats milk yoghurt. Any natural or Greek yoghurt will do, all that will happen is that you will lose some of the acidity that the goats milk provides.