RECIPES | While in isolation because of COVID-19, we’ve been trying to come up with quick and easy recipes that can be made using things that we usually have in our kitchen. Two of these are things are passata and ajvar, which work wonderfully with baked eggplant.
Ajvar is a capsicum puree sauce that you can find pre made in jars at the supermarket, or make yourself at home (we’ve got a recipe coming up soon).
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 15 minutes / Serves: 1-2 people
- 2 small striped eggplants
- 2 tbsp (50g) rice flour or corn flour
- 1 tbsp (20ml)olive oil
- 100g ajvar
- 100g passata
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/360°F fan forced.
- Slice the eggplant into 1cm thick slices.
- Lightly toss the eggplant in the flour.
- Sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the eggplant is baking, mix the passata and ajvar together in a bowl.
- Transfer the eggplant from the oven directly into the passata and ajvar bowl, and mix well.
- Serve topped with coarsely chopped fresh parsley.
This simple recipe works well with any kind of vegetable that absorbs flavours. Other eggplant varieties, zucchini, potatoes, mushrooms etc. The cooking time will have to be adjusted based on the vegetable used.