This dish is a twist on the classic Basquaise squid stew recipe. It is not a stew however it holds true to the Basque style which is based on using a tomato and red pepper/capsicum sauce. This flavoursome dish will warm the soul and is perfect for those cool autumn nights. It’s quick and easy as well.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 20 minutes / Serves 4
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 250g roasted red peppers
- 500g baby squid
- 3 large ripe red tomatoes, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 chilli, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 20ml olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 25g fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme to the pan.
- After a few minutes, add the onion, garlic, tomato, red peppers and chilli.
- Add the squid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and mix through the parsley.
- Discard the bay leaves and thyme and serve.
If you’re not a fan of spicy food you can leave out the chilli to make the dish more mild and it will still taste great.
Ask your fishmonger to clean the squid if they haven’t already done so.
The sauce is great for mopping up with bread.