Bass & Flinders Distillery is a small scale, locally-owned Mornington Peninsula distillery located in Dromana. Their gins are inspired by their surroundings, and we were recently given a bottle of their new “Gin 10” to create a cocktail with. Gin 10 is an aromatic, slightly spiced gin made using 10 botanicals including juniper berries, cardamom, orange and native pepper berry.
It’s a tasty gin, and one that works really well with winter flavours. We decided to create a spiced winter gin and tonic to match with the cold weather that Melbourne was experiencing when we were coming up with ideas. It’s a cold cocktail, but still manages to provide a warming feeling due to the winter spices.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Serves: 4
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star of anise
- 1 small grapefruit, cut into slices.
- 75ml water
- 120ml Bass and Flinders Gin 10
- 4 x 200ml bottles of tonic water
- Place the sugar, water, star anise, grapefruit and cinnamon into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and allow the sugar syrup to cool to room temperature.
- Divide the sugar syrup between four glasses.
- Add 30ml of Bass and Flinders Gin 10 into each glass and stir well.
- Add one bottle of tonic water to each glass and mix.
- Serve each glass with a stick of cinnamon and a slice of grapefruit (optional).
You can serve this cocktail slightly warm if you like and it will still taste great.