RECIPES | This beetroot and fennel risotto is a quick and easy dish that you can make in a rice cooker in 20 minutes. For a long time we insisted on cooking risotto the traditional way, but our rice cooker really is such a versatile and clever kitchen appliance. It cooks risotto perfectly every time with a lot less effort than the traditional method.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 20 minutes / Serves: 2
- 1 cup (250g) carnaroli or aborio rice
- ½ medium sized beetroot, diced into 1cm cubes
- 20g fennel, diced
- 20ml cream
- chicken stock
- Place the rice in your rice cooker.
- Add enough to stock to reach the 1 cup mark of the rice cooker.
- Add the beetroot, cream and fennel into the rice cooker and place it on the porridge setting for 20 minutes.
- Mix the risotto and serve immediately.
You can easily make this dish vegetarian by changing the chicken stock for vegetable stock. You can also cook it the traditional way – it will just take longer.