RECIPES | Our black truffle macaroni & cheese, a twist on our usual recipe, is a must during truffle season. This dish is creamy, nutty and earthy and truly celebrates this wonderful ingredient during its very short season.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 20 minutes/ Serves: 4 generous portions
- 5g black truffle, shaved
- 375g macaroni
- 70g grated Monterrey Jack cheese (or Gouda)
- 70g grated cheddar cheese
- 30g Queso Quesadilla cheese (or Mozzarella)
- 30g Asadero cheese (or Provolone)
- 45g unsalted butter
- 60g plain flour
- 450ml full cream milk
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- Cook the macaroni as per the instructions on the box.
- Remove the pasta from the heat, strain and place aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir to combine into a ball, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 100ml of milk to the saucepan and stir constantly until all the milk is incorporated.
- Repeat step 5 until all the milk has been added.
- Add the four cheeses to the saucepan and continuously stir until all the cheese has melted.
- Once melted, add the macaroni, 3g of black truffle, salt and pepper to the cheese sauce and mix well.
- Serve into 4 bowls and top with thin shavings of the remaining truffle.
If you add a pinch of salt and a dash of oil to the pasta while it is boiling it will stop the pasta sticking together.
If you don’t have a truffle shaver use a vegetable peeler. It will create fine slithers of beautiful truffle just like the actual device.