Post the festive season, guilt starts to kick in over the excessive amount of food and alcohol that has been consumed and the desire for lighter, healthy food takes over. This Broccoli & Red Quinoa Salad recipe was created to help get the healthy eating back on track. It’s high in protein and rich in fibre and minerals. It’s super tasty and will make you feel full despite being a light salad. It’s also good for anyone looking for something vegan or gluten free.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes / Cooking Time: 10 minutes / Serves 2-4
- 150g red quinoa
- 150g snow peas
- 150g broccoli
- 30ml lemon juice
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, diced
- 20g mint, chopped finely
- 20g flat leaf parsley, chopped finely
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa as per the packet’s instructions and allow it to cool.
- While you are cooking the quinoa, place the broccoli in a steamer above the quinoa and steam for 5-7 minutes.
- Immediately remove the broccoli from the heat and place it in icy water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain the broccoli and set it aside.
- Remove the both ends of the snow peas (top and tail) and cut into 2cm chunks.
- Add the quinoa, broccoli, snow peas, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, mint, parsley and salt and pepper to a bowl.
- Mix well and serve.
You can cook the quinoa in chicken or vegetable stock to add an additional depth of flavour. Also you can lightly toast a handful of slivered almonds in a dry fyring pan for about 3-5 minutes and sprinkle these on top for an extra crunch and a little more protein.