CHICAGO | The Buckingham Fountain was opened in 1927 and is one of the world’s largest fountains, with a water capacity of 1.5 million gallons. It was built in the Rococo style, and inspired by the Latona fountain in Versailles, as an allegorical representation of Lake Michigan. The four seahorses on the sides of the fountain each represent one of the four states that touch Lake Michigan — Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan.
Planted in Grant Park, the fountain operates from the spring through fall seasons, with a nightly light show and a big water display for 20 minutes of every hour. During the display, the central jet shoots water up 150 feet in the air.
Buckingham Fountain is officially known as the Clarence Buckingham Memorial Fountain, as it was commissioned by Kate Buckingham in the name of her late brother. Ms. Buckingham wanted to bring a taste of European flair to Chicago in honor of her brother, and did so through the Buckingham Fountain.
301 S Columbus Drive
Telephone: 312 742 7529