Thanks to the efforts of chefs like Noma’s René Redzepi, Nordic food has really started to grab the world’s attention in recent years. Recently, The City Lane spoke with Swedish journalist and food stylist Alexandra Vikström (you can read the interview here) and she was kind enough to share with us her recipe for butter fried cod with hash brown and pea pesto. Swedish simplicity at its best.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 20 minutes / Serves 4
- 8 potatoes
- 25g butter
- 4 pieces of cod (50g each)
- 1 red onion
- 50g butter
- black pepper
- 250g peas
- 50g pine nuts
- 2 tbsp (30g) olive oil
- Peel the skin from the potatoes and grate them into small pieces. Squeeze the liquid out of them and form four evenly size patties with your hands.
- Fry the patties in a pan with the butter until golden brown. Sprinkle a pinch of salt onto every patty. Keep them in the pan on a low heat while you prepare the rest.
- Finely chop the onion and fry it in a pan with the butter. Add the cod and fry it for around three minutes on each side. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Mix the peas into a smooth paste. Add the pine nuts, olive oil, a pinch of salt and combine.
- Serve the cod with the hash brown and top with the pesto.
Fresh peas are best but frozen peas work just as well.