I recently adapted one of my own recipes for raw energy bites to create chocolate flapjack slices. I wanted to create a healthy raw snack that I could take with me to work on the go, enjoy as a little mid morning treat whilst chilling at home or even serve as a dessert. These homemade flapjack slices are bursting with nutrients and sources of energy, providing the perfect sweet treat to cub that sugar craving!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes / Setting Time: 2 hours / Makes 10 slices
- 1 cup (250g) rolled oats
- 2 tbsp (40ml) Manuka honey
- 1 tbsp (20g) desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp (20g) flaxseed
- 2 tbsp (40ml) smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp (20g) chia seeds
- pinch of salt
- 4 squares of dark chocolate (ideally 85%)
- 2 tbsp (40g) desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp (20ml) coconut oil
- handful of dried chopped cranberries
- In a bowl mix the oats, coconut, flax seed, peanut butter, chia seeds and salt to taste until the ingredients form a gooey, yet relatively solid texture (note: you can add more or less of certain ingredients if necessary).
- Place the mixture in a baking tray and flatten to create your flapjack base.
- Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil in a pan until they turn into a smooth liquid.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the flapjack base until completely covered.
- Cover the chocolate topping with desiccated coconut and dried cranberries.
- Place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours to set and enjoy!
You can be quite flexible with this recipe as long as you keep the proportions correct. E.g. I used a strawberry and cacao flaxseed mix instead of plan flaxseed. You can use crunchy peanut butter instead of smooth, and a less intense dark chocolate (or even milk chocolate) if you want. Experiment with it!