RECIPES | This Chocolate Granola Slice is a surprisingly easy and expectedly delicious recipe. I created this recipe as a way to use some leftover granola we had in the pantry, and it’s become one of the most moreish recipes I’ve made. We have be eating this slice as a quick snack and even as a breakfast on the go. You can store it for up to three weeks after it’s made but we’ve always eaten them all well before then.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes / Cooking Time: 30 minutes / Makes: 12 slices
- 100g 70% dark chocolate, melted
- 125g salted butter, cut into cubes
- 30ml water
- 4g bicarb soda
- 100g caster sugar
- 45g orange blossom honey
- 25g pumpkin seeds
- 150g plain flour
- 125g granola
- Preheat your oven to 160°C fan forced.
- Place the butter, honey, sugar and water into a saucepan and place on a moderate heat.
- In a bowl add the granola, plain flour and pumpkin seeds and stir well.
- Once the butter has completely melted and the sugar has dissolved, add one tablespoon on the butter mixture into the bicarb soda and stir well.
- Transfer the bicarb into the butter mixture and stir rapidly. At this point it will bubble vigorously.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Line a 24cm x 16cm baking tray with baking paper.
- Transfer the slice mixture into the baking tray and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the slice from the oven and allow it to completely cool.
- Once the slice cooled completely, pour the melted chocolate evenly over the slice and spread it into a thin layer with a knife or spatula.
- Place the slice into the refrigerator for 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
- Cut the slice into into 2cm by 5cm pieces or larger if you prefer.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
The slice will be soft when it comes out of the oven. This is the way it’s meant to be, and it will harden as it cools. Don’t add the chocolate until the slice is completely cool as it will take longer for the chocolate to harden.