This coconut milk bircher muesli is a simple, versatile breakfast option and is a great way to start the day. It’s high in fibre, omega fatty acids and protein which means you get a lot of good stuff in each bite. It is also incredibly easy to alter the combination of seeds/nuts and fruits based on your preferences so you can create all kinds of weird and wonderful flavour combinations.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes / Serves 4
- 250g rolled oats
- 500ml coconut or almond milk (unsweetened)
- 60g dried cranberries or sultanas
- 50g roasted sunflower seeds
- 10g chia seeds
- 25g pumpkin seeds
- 20g shredded coconut
- a selection of fresh fruit to top your muesli
- Place the oats, coconut milk and cranberries into a bowl.
- Cover the oat mixture with plastic wrap and set aside for at least 20 minutes. Ideally leave it overnight to soak up the liquid.
- Divide the oat mixture into four bowls.
- Sprinkle the sunflower seeds, chia seeds, pumkin seeds and shredded coconut on top of each bowl of oats.
- Add a selection of fruit on top of the muesli and serve.
I try and minimize the amount of additional sugar I add to breakfast options and this recipe is a perfect example of that. It’s not overly sweet as all the sugar is coming from the fruit. If you find this is not sweet enough for your taste, you can drizzle a little honey on top of the oats.
To mix up the flavor a little, I like to add 3g of mixed spice to the oats while they are soaking.