RECIPES | As winter approaches and the days get darker quicker, it seemed only appropriate to make the next cocktail recipe we posted the classic dark & stormy. This ginger beer based cocktail uses spiced rum for its alcoholic component, resulting in a sweet, spiced cocktail that’s both refreshing and warming. Perfect any time of the year, but especially appropriate when the weather is a bit cooler but you don’t want a warm cocktail.
Preparation Time: 2-3 minutes / Serves 1
- 120ml ginger beer
- 60ml spiced rum
- 30ml lemon juice
- 5ml ginger juice
- 1 slice of orange
- 15 ice cubes
- Place the ginger beer, rum, lemon juice and ginger juice into a cocktail strainer.
- Shake well for 1-2 minutes.
- Place the ice cubes into a tall serving glass.
- Strain the cocktail into the glass.
- Add the slice of orange and serve.
To make the ginger juice, place a 5cm piece of ginger through a juicer. For an additional spice hit, add a fresh chilli.