RECIPES | This virbant and zesty lime and yoghurt chicken curry is an easy recipe that anyone can make and enjoy. Using yoghurt instead of cream makes it quite healthy and adds a delicious tang to each bite.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 30 minutes / Serves: 4
- 4 chicken thighs
- 5g fennel seeds
- 5g coriander seeds
- 5g cumin seeds
- 5g ground turmeric
- 5g garam masala
- 1tbsp (15g) ghee
- one lime
- 350g natural yoghurt (unsweetened)
- 300g tomato puree
- salt to taste
- Cut your chicken thighs into approximately 3cm pieces.
- Put the chicken thighs, 50g of the yoghurt, the juice of half a lime, and a few shakes of salt into a container. Combine well, cover, and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) fan forced.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the chicken pieces evenly onto it. Put in the oven for 20 minutes, turning half way through.
- While the chicken is in the oven, grind the fennel, coriander, and cumin seeds with a pestle and mortar. Combine with the turmeric and garam masala.
- Put the ghee into a hot frying pan. Once melted, add the spices and mix continuously for about a minute, until they’ve absorbed all the ghee.
- Add the tomato puree, reduce the pan to a medium heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the oven and put them into the pan with the sauce.
- Add the yoghurt and stir until combined. Allow to simmer for a further 8 minutes.
- Put the curry into a bowl and top with coriander and a wedge of lime. Serve with basmati rice and naan.
We’ve used yoghurt as a healthier alternative to cream but feel free to use cream if you like.
If you don’t have chicken thighs, breast will do but it won’t be quite as tender. If you don’t have ghee you can use butter (unsalted is preferable).