RECIPES | This is one of our best easy apple pie recipes. As the cooler weather approaches and apples come back into season it’s time to make apple pie. This delicious and easy mini apple pie recipe uses Granny Smith, Pink Lady, or Braeburn apples which are known for their mild sweetness and firm texture. With only 20 minutes of effort you’ll have mini apple pies that the whole family can enjoy.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes / Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes / Serves: 5-6
- 3 Granny Smith, Pink Lady, or Braeburn apples, diced into 1cm cubes
- 2 tbps (30g) dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) mixed spiced powder
- 2 sheets (200g each) shortcrust pastry
- Preheat your oven to 200°C fan forced.
- Cut one sheet of shortcrust pastry into four equal sized pieces.
- Mould each square into each if the four pie tins (12cm diameter).
- Remove any express pastry so none is hanging over the edge of the tins pie.
- Cover the pies with a sheet of baking paper and baking beads/rice and blind bake for 10 minutes.
- Mix the apples, sugar and mixed spice powder in a bowl.
- Take the pie crusts our of the oven, remove the baking paper and beads/rice, and fill evenly with the apple mixture.
- Create any design you want with the other pastry sheet, place atop the pie, and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and enjoy hot or cold with a dollop of fresh cream.
We usually use a chai tea powder instead of mixed spice for our apple pie, but have put mixed spice powder for ease of availability. Try a different spice combinations to decide what you like mix – cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove all work well.