RECIPES | Espresso martinis are one of my favourite cocktails. They’re a little sweet and packs that great coffee punch. I also love frozen treats like granitas, especially on those hot summer days. Why not combine the two I thought one day? This recipe for an espresso martini granita does just that. It’s tasty, indulgent and refreshing with just the right caffeine hit.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Freezing Time: 1.5 hours / Serves: 2-3
- 80ml espresso
- 80ml Vodka
- 80ml Coffee Liqueur (Kalhua)
- 50g sugar
- 350ml water
- Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and simmer until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the sugar syrup from the heat and add all the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice-cream maker and allow it churn for 90 minutes.
- Store the granita in your freezer for whenever you feel like an espresso martini.
If you don’t own an ice-cream maker you can still make this recipe however it is more labour intensive and it will take longer. Instead of pouring the mixture into a ice-cream maker, transfer it into a shallow tray and place it into the freezer. Every hour for four hours, use a fork to break apart the ice crystals to get the desired texture.