RECIPES | These Grilled Chicken Skewers with Ajvar are a tasty and simple meal that you can quickly make after work, and are inspired by my grandmother’s Croatian ajvar recipe. We normally serve this with some steamed veggies and cous cous, and it’s a great option if you’re looking to make something that will give you leftovers for lunch or dinner the following day.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes / Serves: 2-4
- 350g jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ brown onion, diced
- 75ml extra virgin olive oil
- 500g chicken thighs, cut into 3cm cubes
- 2g cumin powder
- salt and pepper
- Heat a griddle pan on a high heat.
- While the pan is heating, coat the chicken lightly with the cumin powder, salt and pepper.
- Evenly spike the chicken onto four metal skewers.
- Place the chicken skewers on the griddle and cook for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, place the peppers, garlic and oil into a food processor and blend into a smooth sauce.
- To serve, place the ajvar on the base of the dish and top with delicious chicken skewers.
Only turn the chicken once of twice during the cooking time to achieve beautiful grill marks. To extend this meal into four portions, serve with instant cous cous and your favourite steamed seasonal vegetables.