Corn Chowder is a great, hearty dish but can be higher in calories than desired. As the cooler months start to set in, I start becoming more conscious about creating healthy meals which satisfy my desire for warmth without making my jeans tighter. This dish is a quick healthy soup you can make on a rainy day or after work when all you want to do is hibernate.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 30 minutes / Serves 6-8
- 2 thyme springs
- 250g fresh corn, cut off the cob
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced
- 1 Ruby Lou or Royal Blue potato, peeled and cubed
- 2L chicken or vegetable stock
- 250ml full cream mi;k
- 30g plain flour
- 5ml olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the thyme, onion, celery and garlic to the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour then slowly start adding in the stock and the milk.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the potato and corn and simmer for a further 15 minutes..
- Discard the thyme stalks and serve.
Potential variations :
– Add some lean protein such as chicken at the end of the dish.
– Serve with Cruskits smeared in a saffron mayonnaise. This can be simply made with 4 saffron threads ground in a mortar which are then mixed with 30g of a whole egg mayonnaise.