My grandfather loves fishing and one of my enduring childhood memories is going to my grandparent’s house and eating pan fried fresh whiting with a simple breadcrumb coating. Inspired by this, we’ve created a herb crusted whiting recipe which adds a bit of a flavour boost while upping the healthiness credentials by baking instead of pan frying. The fact that it’s super quick to prepare and cook is a nice bonus too.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 10 minutes / Serves 4 – 6
- 20 whiting
- 125g panko
- 20g parsley
- 1 preserved lemon rind, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 20g chives, finely chopped
- 40g extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200°C fan forced.
- In a bowl mix together the panko, parsley, preserved lemon, garlic, chives, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Fill each whiting with a little bit of the mixture and place them onto the tray.
- Sprinkle the remaining filling on top of the whiting.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil on the top of the tray and serve.
If you don’t have panko you can use regular breadcumbs, you’ll just get a denser crumb. If you do use regular breadcrumbs, reduce the quantity to 100g.
If you don’t have preserved lemon, you can use regular lemon, but make sure you add the juice as well as the rind. The flavour will still be there, it just won’t be as intense as with the preserved lemon.