RECIPES | This leek and black truffle potato pie is a delicious, hearty dish which is perfect for the colder weather. The indulgent black truffle adds a beautiful nutty depth to the warming pie which has quickly made it a favourite among friends.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 35 hours/ Serves 4
- 1kg creme royale potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes
- 200g leek, sliced
- 240g borlotti/cranberry beans, drained
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 3g ground nutmeg
- 1g ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1g sweet paprika
- 3g mastic powder
- 200g spinach
- 1 bay leaf
- 25g unsalted butter
- 3g black truffle, shaved
- 10ml oil for cooking
- Place half of the potatoes into a large pot filled with enough water to cover the potatoes. Boil them for 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, heat the oil in a heavy bottom sauce pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add half the potatoes, garlic, bay leaf, and leek, and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, spinach, nutmeg, mastic, paprika, pepper, and stock, and cook on a high heat for 10 minutes.
- Once the potatoes have finished boiling, remove for the heat and drain well.
- Add the butter and a pinch of salt to the drained potatoes and mash until smooth.
- Transfer the filling into a 20cm square baking container.
- Sprinkle half of the truffle shavings on top of the filling and then top with the mashed potato.
- Bake at 220oC for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining black truffle.
You can also make this a more traditional pie by swapping the mash potato topping for a sheet of crunchy short crust pastry.