Midnight Starling is a classic, country French bistro and bar in Kyneton, Victoria. Along with the usual suspects of French food and wine, the menu features a number of rather nice cocktails. One of the favourites this winter has been “The Cardigan” which was created by Midnight Starling’s owner and Michelin Star trained head chef Steven Rogers (ex Jacques Reymond, Michael Rostang Paris). It’s a simple cocktail that’s perfect on these cold winter days and we’ve got the recipe so that you can make it at home.
Preparation Time: 4 minutes / Serves 1
- 2 teaspoons house-made mandarin marmalade
- 4 dashes of Angostura bitters
- Dash of soda water
- 60ml Makers Mark Bourbon
- Orange zest & Griottine cherry (to garnish)
- Place the marmalade and bitters in an old fashion glass, add the soda water and mix to dissolve the marmalade.
- Add the bourbon, then fill the glass with ice, stir down the drink until the ice has partially melted.
- Garnish with orange zest and cherries.
The recipe calls for Makers Mark Bourbon but of course feel free to use whichever bourbon you fancy.
If you don’t have any house-made mandarin marmalade at home, or can’t find any at the shops, orange marmalade is an acceptable substitute.