RECIPES | Keen’s are well known for mustard, but did you know they make a chilli blend too? They tasked us with creating a recipe using their chilli blend, which we used to whip up this delicious Moroccan lamb meatball tagine. Inspired by our travels there and packed full of delicious North African flavour, its a delicious, flavoursome, healthy meal option.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes / Cooking Time: 25 minutes / Serves: 2-3
- 250g lamb mince
- 4 stalks silver beet leaves, chopped roughly
- 140 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ brown onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ tspn Keen’s Chilli Blend
- 1 tspn coriander seeds
- 1 tspn cumin seeds
- 2 tspn ground sumac
- 2 tbsp (60ml) water
- ½ tspn pomegranate seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the garlic, salt, Keen’s Chilli blend, and all other spices into a pestle and mortar and blend.
- Add the mince to the spice mix and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into four large meatballs.
- Place the onions into the base of the tagine, then place the meatballs on top, with the silver beet, tomatoes, and pomegranate.
- Drizzle with the water, cover with the lid, and bake in a 180°C oven for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
All of the spices work wonderfully in the proportions set out, but of course feel free to swap things around depending on your preferences.