This preserved lemon & octopus salad recipe makes cooking octopus at home easy and quite approachable. Often people ignore this beautiful piece of seafood as they are not sure how to deal with it. However, I can guarantee it is much easier than you think. This recipe creates a delicious dish perfect for the warm weather which works well as a tapas style dish or an entree if you serve it on a bed of lettuce.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes / Cooking Time: 45 minutes / Serves 4-6
- 1kg uncooked octopus
- 2-3L water
- 50-100g salt
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 15g fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 20ml lemon juice
- 1 preserved lemon, finely sliced
- 250g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 30ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the water in a saucepan and add enough salt so that it is rather salty and tastes like the sea.
- Place the octopus and lemon into the saucepan and put a small heatproof plate on top to keep the octopus submerged.
- Simmer the octopus for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and discard the water.
- Run the octopus under cold water, rubbing lightly to remove the skin and excess salt.
- Cut the octopus into 4-5cm thick slices.
- Add the parslsy, garlic, lemon juice, preserved lemon, tomatoes and olive oil to the octopos and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Serve simple, with some crusty bread.