If you’re looking for something quick and surprisingly filling, this raw red cabbage, dill & feta salad might just fit the bill. I find red cabbage to be a woefully underrated ingredient, with many people scarred by childhood memories of over-boiled cabbage which was anything but delicious. It’s a shame because eaten raw with the right flavour combinations, red cabbage is a versatile, healthy, tasty vegetable.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 5 minutes / Serves 4-6
- half a red cabbage (about 450g), finely chopped
- juice of ½ lemon
- 25g dill, finely chopped
- 100g feta cheese, cubed 1cm x 1cm
- 50g pine nuts, roasted
- 3 tbsp (45ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Mix together the cabbage, dill and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Bring your frying pan up to a medium heat on the stove with just a dash of olive oil and throw in the pine nuts. Toss the pine nuts every few seconds until they start to roast and turn brown. As soon as they turn brown, take them off the heat – these things go from lightly roasted to burned surprisingly fast!
- Add the pine nuts, feta and extra virgin olive oil to the bowl, mix well and serve.
If you have a food processor, use it to finely chop the cabbage. To get the cabbage as fine as it needs to be using just a knife is a thankless, time-consuming task.
This salad works well as a main – it’s healthy and surprisingly filling but if you want you can also serve smaller portions of it as a side dish.