RECIPES | This red wine hot chocolate with Italian meringue is a great way to use left over red wine. The indulgent combination of chocolate, red wine and sticky meringue works wonderfully to create one of the most unique hot chocolates you’ve tried. You can drink it hot as soon as you’ve made it – perfect on a cold winters day, or refrigerate it and enjoy it cold in the summer. Either way it’s delicious.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 10 minutes/ Serves: 2
- 1 egg white
- 50g caster sugar
- 50ml water
- 300ml full cream milk
- 50g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 100g 60% dark chocolate
- 15g brown sugar
- 250ml red wine
- Place the cocoa powder, brown sugar, dark chocolate, red wine and milk into a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the milk mixture is simmering, add the water and caster sugar into another saucepan and cook until the syrup reaches 115°C. This takes about 7-8 minutes
- Start whisking the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks are reached.
- Slowly add the syrup to the egg whites while whisking on a high speed.
- Continue whisking until all the syrup is incorporated and stiff peaks are achieved.
- Divide the hot chocolate into two cups and top with the Italian meringue.
- Lightly blow torch the top of the meringue and serve immediately.
You can make this relatively quickly as long as you multi task. Place both saucepans on the heat at the same time. Half way through the cooking time start the egg whites. While the hot chocolate has 3 minutes remaining to cook add the sugar syrup to the egg whites. That way all the components will be ready at the same time.
Stiff peaks arise when you can turn the bowl upside down and the egg whites do not move.