RECIPES | This sea urchin and black truffle scrambled eggs recipe is one of the most indulgent items we make during truffle season this year. The sea urchin is incredibly creamy and luscious and the truffle provides an intense nutty yet earthy flavour. This is truly one of the most perfect breakfasts.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 5 minutes / Serves 2
- 4 large eggs, approximately 52g each
- 15 butter, melted
- 20ml cream
- 10g sea urchin roe
- 3g black truffle, shaved
- salt and pepper
- Crack all the eggs into a bowl.
- Add the cream, butter, half of the sea urchin roe and salt and pepper.
- Blend together with a hand beater.
- Heat a non-stick pan with a little oil over a medium heat.
- Once hot, add the egg mixture to the pan.
- As the eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with an inverted turner, forming large soft curds. Continue cooking, pulling, lifting and folding the eggs until they have thickened and no visible liquid remains.
- Divide the scrambled eggs onto two plates and top with the remaining sea urchin roe and shavings of black truffle.
I would not recommend serving the eggs in the sea urchin shell. It is fine for a photo however there is a choking risk if one of the spines accidentally ends up in your food.