RECIPES | Starward recently released Red Manhattan, a bottled cocktails that combines Starward singe grain whisky matured in Australian red wine barrels with native botanicals and bitters. The result is a drink that’s rich in flavours of dark stone fruits, vanilla and cherries . We were sent a bottle by the folks at Starward and decided to have some fun with it by creating a Cherry Syrup Cupcake recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Baking Time: 15-20 minutes / Makes: 9 cupcakes
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs (~56g each)
- 20ml full cream milk
- 50 ml Maraschino cherry liquid
- 4g baking powder
- 18 Maraschino cherries
- 30ml Starward Red Manhattan
- Preheat your oven to 180°C fan forced.
- Place the butter, sugar and 20ml of Maraschino cherry liquid into a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and milk and whisk until the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Roughly chop half of the cherries and mix them into the wet ingredients.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the wet ingredients and gently mix until the batter is thoroughly combined.
- Evenly divide the batter into nine cupcake liners and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, place the remaining Maraschino cherry liquid and the Starward Red Manhattan into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the liquid from the heat and lightly brush it onto the top of the cupcakes.
- Place a cherry on top of the cupcakes and serve with a Starward Red Manhattan cocktail.
To check if the cupcake is cooked, place a skewer into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean the cupcake is ready.