RECIPES | This ten minute shakshouka recipe is our quick and easy take on this Middle Eastern and North African favourite. Traditionally, this dish would be cooked for 30 minutes and it would use less spice as the extra cooking time allows the flavours to develop. However, the reality of life is most of us are time poor hence a 10 minute version works well. It has great flavour and texture and it is cooked in one pan, so cleaning up is easy.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Serves 2
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 clove garlic, diced finely
- 300ml passata
- 2 truss tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 onion
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, diced
- In a frypan, add the garlic, onion, cumin, coriander, paprika, chilli powder and tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add the passata and mix well.
- Crack the eggs, one at a time evenly over the tomato mixture.
- Cover with a lid and allow the the eggs to simmer for 5 minutes until the egg whites are solid and the yolk is still runny.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Serve simply and immediately with some crusty bread.