RECIPES | With the arrival of Spring and the warmer weather in Melbourne, the team at The City Lane thought it was time to create a series of delicious spring cocktails. We’ve teamed up with Margaret River’s The West Winds Gin to create some delicious, easy to make at home, gin based cocktails which are perfect for a dinner party, an afternoon with friends or a Sunday session.
We’ve made each cocktail to highlight the characteristic of the different gins that The West Winds make. The third cocktail in the series is a twist on a salty dog. In this cocktail we have used “The Cutlass”, which is highly awarded aromatic gin. The Cutlass’ flavour combinations of juniper, cinnamon, lemon myrtle and bush tomato blend flawlessly with the grapefruit juice to produce a zesty refreshing cocktail.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes / Serves 4
- 30ml The West Winds Cutlass gin
- 90ml lemonade
- 125ml grapefruit juice
- 10g table salt
- Dip the rim of your serving glass in water.
- Place your salt evenly on a plate.
- Dip the rim of your glass into the salt.
- Place the gin and grapefruit juice into a cocktail shaker and shake lightly.
- Add the lemonade to the shaker and stir well.
- Place ice into your serving glass and carefully pour the cocktail into the glass.
- Serve immediately.
For those in the USA, the lemonade we use is the variety you find in the UK and Australia which is clear and carbonated. You can try using a clear lemon soda, or soda water with a dash of sugar syrup and 10ml of lemon juice.