RECIPES | These zucchini and lemon thyme mini frittatas are an easy meal. They’re high in protein, low in carbohydrates, and are perfect for a work day lunch. This recipe will make 12 mini frittatas, which will provide you with 4-6 lunches depending upon your appetite. As a reference I find two of these is enough to fill me up however Paul will eat three mini frittatas and a small green salad.
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes / Cooking time: 20 minutes / Makes: 12 mini frittatas
- 1 zucchini (~250g)
- 65g mild ham, chopped coarsely
- ¼ red onion, diced (~25g)
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 50 pine nuts
- 3g lemon thyme, removed from the stems
- 8 large (~56g each) eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel thin slices of zucchini.
- Place the slices of zucchini in a muffin tin so that they form a “liner/collar” for 12 mini frittatas.
- Coarsely chop any excess zucchini and set aside.
- Evenly add the pine nuts to the base of each mini frittata.
- In a bowl mix together the onion, chopped zucchini, ham, Parmesan and lemon thyme.
- Add the zucchini/lemon thyme mixture to each of the mini frittatas.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, add salt and pepper, and whisk for 1-2 minutes or until a uniform egg mixture is achieved.
- Evenly pour the egg into each mini frittata and bake for 20 minutes at 200°C/390°F fan forced.
I often make this dish vegetarian by swapping out the ham for button mushrooms.