RECIPES | This corn & black bean salsa is a really versatile dish – it can be eaten on its own, in tacos, burritos or even with our coriander & lime rice. It’s high in protein, full of vegetables and a great mid-week lunch option. Make it at the start of the week and it will last a whole week in the fridge.
Preparation Time: 8-10 minutes / Cooking Time: 12 minutes / Serves: 2-4
- 280g corn kernels (cut from ~2 whole corn cobs)
- 10ml vegetable oil
- half a medium red onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 dried habanero chilli
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 2 large truss tomatoes, diced (approximately 300g)
- 400g tin of whole black beans, drained
- 15ml lime juice
- 15g fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large fry pan.
- Place the onion, garlic, bay leaf and habanero into the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the corn and stock and simmer on a medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and discard the habanero and bay leaf.
- Add the tomato, black beans, lime juice and coriander to the corn and mix well.
- Serve warm or cold.
If you like spicy food you can leave the habanero in the salsa at step 4. However, at this stage you will need to dice the habenero and add a little at time to ensure it doesn’t overwhelm the dish.