RECIPES | This easy rice cooker coriander and lime rice is a good base for multiple meals. You can pair it with grilled chicken or fish, or a light salad, salsa or curry. It’s light, fragrant and requires minimal effort as it can all be done in a rice cooker.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes /Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes / Serves: 4
- 280g basmati rice
- Water or chicken stock to fill up to the 2 cup line on your rice cooker
- Coriander stalk, whole (the part you normally discard)
- Rind of one lime
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 30g red onion, diced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 5ml lime juice
- 5g fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- Place the rice, water/stock (based on your rice cooker), coriander stalks, bay leaf and garlic in your rice cooker.
- Cook on a quick setting for 20-30 minutes. This will depend upon your machine.
- Once your rice cooker has finished cooking, discard the coriander stalks and bay leaf.
- Add the onion, lime juice, rind, salt, pepper and coriander to the rice and mix well.
I often accompany this dish with our corn and black bean salsa and guacamole.
If you don’t have a rice cooker, simply cook the rice your preferred way.