RECIPES | The Negroni is a tribute to the definition of a cocktail: the ultimate balance of spirit, sweet and bitter to stimulate all senses and quench all thirsts, and this Aussie version uses all Australian ingredients. Teigan Nash checked out the cocktail while she was on assignment for Aussie News Today, part of Tourism Australia’s latest youth campaign.
The Four Pillars Spiced Negroni Gin includes uniquely Australian ingredients like Tasmanian pepperberry leaf and Australian lemon myrtle, while the MAiDENii Sweet Vermouth uses and impressive 12 native botanicals in its 24 botanical concoction. The Applewood Distillery Red Økar, meanwhile, uses riberry, a native berry with a cranberry-like tartness.
Preparation Time: 2 minutes / Mixing Time: 15 seconds / Serves 1
- 30ml Four Pillars Spiced Negroni Gin
- 30ml MAiDENii Sweet Vermouth
- 30ml Applewood Distillery Red Økar
- Ice cubes
- 1 orange segment (optional)
- Layer the ingredients over ice in a short glass.
- Mix with a tall spoon for about 15 seconds to dilute the cocktail.
- Garnish with an orange segment.
You can, of course, use a different gin, vermouth, and aperitif and still create a tasty negroni, but the combination of the three suggested brands here really does create a flavour that’s uniquely Australian.