CUSCO | Iglesia De La Compañia De Jesús (The Church of the Society of Jesus) is a church built by the Jesuits in 1571 and reconstructed after an earthquake in 1650. It’s located in Cusco’s main square (Plaza de Armas de Cusco), on the site where Amarucancha, palace of the Inca Huayna Cápac, once stood.
It’s built in the Baroque style, and is one of the best example of this style of architecture in the region. Inside, it features paintings and sculptures by Diego de la Puente, Marcos Zapata, and Cristo de Burgos. Several of the paintings depict important local weddings, the most notable being that of Martín García Oñas de Loyola with Doña Ñusta Clara Beatriz Qoya – a Spanish captain and the great-niece of Túpac Amaru, the last Inca ruler.
Iglesia De La Compañia De Jesús
Plaza De Armas
Mon – Sun: All day