RECIPES | This not so Tonkotsu ramen is a twist on a classic Tonkotsu ramen . It is by no means a traditional broth as I struggled to find pigs trotters which are characteristically the base of this style of ramen. Nonetheless the combination of pork ribs, soup bones and chicken wings make a thick, creamy, rich broth which is utterly delicious.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 8 hours / Serves: 6
- 1kg pork ribs
- 1kg beef soup bones
- 250g chicken wings
- 200g kombu
- 90g bonito flakes
- 1 brown onion, cut in quarters
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 8L water
Toppings (to taste)
- 1 soft boiled egg
- tofu (optional)
- spring onion
- enoki mushrooms
- 270g packet ramen noodels, cooked as per the instructions
- 200g pork belly, thinly sliced
- sliced cabbage
- Place the pork ribs, soup bones, chicken wings, kombu, bonito, onion, garlic and 5L of water in a large heavy bottom pot.
- Put the pot on a high heat and leave it for 8 hours, adding the additional 3L of water as needed.
- Strain the broth through a muslin cloth or fine sieve. Retain the liquid and discard the rest.
- In a serving bowl, add the ramen noodles, broth and your choice of toppings.
All topping are optional, you a can use whatever you would like to top your ramen.