RECIPES | Nigiri is a specific type of sushi consisting of a slice of raw fish over pressed vinegared rice. Salmon is a great fish to use for nigiri, with a light flavour that balances well with just a little ginger and tamari. Here’s our recipe for salmon nigiri.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes / Cooking Time: 30 minutes / Serves: 2 people
- 1 rice cooker cup (160g) of Japanese short grain rice
- 20ml rice vinegar
- 4g caster sugar
- 1g salt
- 150g sashimi grade salmon, skin off
- pickled ginger
- Cover the rice in water and stir to dislodge the excess starch.
- Pour the water out and add fresh water. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until the water runs clear.
- Place the rice in the rice cooker and add water up to the 1 cup line, cook on a quick setting.
- Transfer the rice to a shallow container to help cool the rice.
- Mix together the rice vinegar, salt and sugar.
- Pour the vinegar mix over the rice and mix well.
- While the rice is cooling, cut the salmon into ½cm thick pieces.
- Once the rice is cool, form oblong rice balls, each with 20g rice.
- Place a small amount of wasabi on each rice ball.
- Cover the rice with a slice of salmon.
- Serve with pickled ginger and tamari.
Wet your hands when forming the rice ball, it will minimise how much sticks to your hands.